Bicol University was founded on June 21, 1969 by virtue of Republic Act 5521 and was formally organized on September 22, 1970. It evolved out of six reputable educational institutions integrated to form the first state university in Region V
- Bicol Teachers College (BTC)with its Laboratory School in Daraga, Albay, now the BU College of Education (BUCE) with its Integrated Laboratory School (ILS)
- Daraga East Central School (DECS) also in Daraga, Albay, initially renamed as Bicol University Pilot Elementary School (BUPES), now integrated with the BUCE-ILS as its Elementary Department
- Albay High School in Legazpi City, now the BUCE-ILS High School Department
- Bicol Regional School for Arts and Trades (BRSAT) in Legazpi City, converted from the Albay Trade School by virtue of Republic Act 1129 on June 16, 1954, now the College of Industrial Technology and the College of Engineering.
- Roxas Memorial Agricultural School (RMAS) in Guinobatan, Albay, which became the College of Agriculture, now renamed as the College of Agriculture and Forestry.
- School of Fisheries in Tabaco, Albay, turned into the College of Fisheries, now the Bicol University Tabaco Campus.
These public schools and colleges, now part of Bicol University, had served the people of the region for more than half a century prior to their forming Bicol University.
A World-Class University Producing Leaders and Change Agents for Social Transformation and Development.
The Bicol University shall primarily give professional and technical training, and provide advanced and specialized instruction in literature, philosophy, the science and arts, besides providing for the promotion of scientific and technological researches (RA 5521, Sec. 3)."